Monday, March 18, 2013

Lesson 31--Take a Chance


Take a chance on something/someone


 

This is a phrase used to emphasize that the actions you are taking are not necessarily considered wise, typical, or in the normal way something is done.  It can also be used to express that your actions are contrary to someone's opinion, and that success is far from guaranteed.

 

e.g.      I took a chance in hiring Janet for the job.  Fortunately, it worked out well.
            I took a big chance when I asked my boss for her opinion. 
                     If she didn't like it, I might have lost my job.
            I took a chance that you might be home and came over without calling.

 
synonyms

take a risk

e.g.      I took a risk in hiring Janet for the job.
            I took a big risk on that project.

To risk something (verb)

e.g.      I risked my job when I refused the transfer to Vancouver.

No comments:

Post a Comment