Friday, August 23, 2013

Lesson 89--Phrasal Verbs


 
get in touch with someone
keep in touch with/stay in touch
be in touch

both of these words relate to contacting someone.  To get in touch means to make contact, and keep in touch means that you want to maintain connection to someone.  Sometimes we say that we want to keep in touch, but we are actually lying, and have no intention of maintaining contact with them.

I got in touch with my friends through Skype.
I keep in touch with my friends through Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I ended up here, but since I'm such a fan of the Pub Quiz, I can't resist clicking on anything that directs me to a "Quiz". I was going to thank you for your post on the Nanoblock Koala, which I found here in Perth, Australia. Fun little project.
    I like how you make the subtle distinction that "keep in touch" is often used ironically, meaning "hope I never run into you again".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad whenever someone visits this page. I started this blog to do something for my students. I try to write the three weekly posts on Sunday...which sometimes mean that I rush them and do a bad job of editing.
    I really liked the Koala...but I haven't gotten any new nanoblocks lately. I might have to order some from Amazon. I checked the Japanese website, and there are some nice things released in Japan, but not here....hopefully I will find them, someday.

    ReplyDelete