Friday, October 25, 2013

Lesson 116--Three Expressions with catch


 

Catch a cold


This is used to explain the moment of getting a cold.  Once you catch a cold, they you have a cold.

I caught a cold last week.
Be careful or you will catch a cold.

This is more often used in past or future tenses.


catch my breath


This is used to explain the feeling of being out of breath.  These situations include exercising, or running, or just needing a short break.

Just give me a minute to catch my breath.
It took me a long time to catch my breath after the marathon.


catch a break


This is used to explain being lucky or fortunate.

When the policeman stopped me for speeding, I caught a break.  He was my neighbour and he didn't give me a ticket.
If we are going to win this match, we will need to catch a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment