Friday, July 4, 2014

Lesson 223--take a look at


I wonder what he is taking a look at.
 
A useful idiom that you should know is take a look at something.  It has several related meanings, and all of them are useful.  I am sure you can use them in your personal life and your business life.  Remember context is very important for understanding the meaning of English words and phrases.


I will take a look at your report. (read it, edit it)

I will take a look at that program. (watch it)

I will take a look at your proposal. (consider it)

I went to the warehouse to take a look at the operation. (evaluate, inspect)

She took one look at my clothes and told me to change. (evaluate, judge, inspect)

2 comments:

  1. This is actually a shortened version of Mobile subscribers are expected to exceed 8 billion by 2018.
    We could use will (as you wrote it) but this just sounds more confident because it seems so much more sure.
    example
    Lorde to release a new CD next week.
    It could be she plans to release it, or will release it, intends to release it. It covers more possibilities, and is shorter and more direct. (it also includes a future meaning without the extra words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks for the explication.

    ReplyDelete