Saturday, December 22, 2012

Lesson 1: Depends


DEPENDS


 

1) It depends on something.


 
e.g. My trip depends on the weather.

       My success depends on the amount of time I study.

       My future depends on my ability to complete my work in a short time.

 
A depends on B= A is influenced by B

                             B affects A

Typical student mistakes: Using the wrong preposition (depends of)

Quiz 1A


match the two sentence halves to make correct sentences

a) Your grade in this course depends on                    1) the amount of exercise you do.

b) How much weight you will lose depends on         2) the hospital's care.

c) Which car I buy depends on                                   3) your test results.

d) Her recovery depends on                                        4) the price.

e) Your interest rate depends on                                 5) the number of classes you want.

f) Your tuition fees depend on                                    6) your deposit.

 

It depends (no preposition)


 
e.g.  A:  Will you go on vacation this year?

        B:  It depends.  If I have enough money, I will go.

It depends.  (Followed by a more detailed explanation)

 

2) I depend on someone



e.g.  He depends on his parents for financial help.

        They depend on their employees to work hard.

        I bought a car so I don't need to depend on anyone for a ride.

 

A depends on B= A needs B to do something.

                             A relies on B to do something

 
Typical student mistakes:  Using the wrong preposition (I depend to her)

Quiz 1B


Put the words in the right order to make complete sentences


sister/up/pick/on/him/depends/his/her/child/to


the/on/of/to/most/boss/complete/her/most/her/depends/work


to/so/to/money/on/save/they/need/they/don't/worked/anyone/hard/depend
 
 
Please click on link at side to see quiz answers

2 comments:

  1. This is really helpful. I can't believe that such a tremendous blog is provoded for free~^^ Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Jennifer. I will continue to work on it (I think graphics are next) Please check for the next lesson on Monday.

    ReplyDelete