Monday, December 24, 2012

Lesson 2: To Bump into Someone

 

1.         To bump into someone = to meet unexpectedly


 
e.g.      I bumped into an old friend at the mall.

            I bumped into Maria on the subway.

            I was looking around the bookstore when I bumped in Roger.  He was shopping                            for Christmas presents.

 

Expressions with similar meanings

a) ran into

b) ran across

 
Expressions with different meanings

a) came across =found unexpectedly.

(usually used for things.  When used for people, it often means that you discovered them doing something unexpected)

 
I came across an old photo of you while I was cleaning out my desk.

I came across some a bunch of old coins while I was looking for my necklace.


I came across Bob kissing a woman who I am sure is not his wife.


2.         To bump into someone = hit accidentally.



e.g.      I bumped into him and he spilled his coffee.
 
            He bumped into me so hard that he broke my wrist.
**no quiz until we cover more phrasal verbs
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Anthony! I loooved it! Congrats; I bet it's gonna be a success! Merry Xmas! --Patricia

    ReplyDelete