Monday, February 4, 2013

Lesson 16: Sorry....What does it mean?


One of the readers asked me to write something about the word sorry.  Such a simple word, is actually full of complexity.  It will take more than one post.  Check back on Wednesday for more about sorry.

 

Sorry               Used as an apology when you've done something wrong
                        (like stepping on my foot on the subway)

Sorry               Used when you haven't heard what someone said, much
                        like the word pardon.

Sorry               Used when you want to show sympathy or pity with someone
                        else.
 
Sorry               Used when you're not sorry at all.  (sarcastically)

Notice the uses in the following dialogues

John:                Did you drink my last beer?
Adam:             Yes, I did. Sorry.

Marcia:            Has anyone seen my umbrella?
Patricia:           Sorry.  What are you looking for?
Marcia:            My umbrella.  Have you seen it?
Patricia:           No, I am afraid not.

Tammy:           What's wrong Jim?  You look so sad.
Jim:                  My dog died yesterday?
Tammy:           I'm sorry.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Anthony!
    The meaning of "I am afraid of"= I have not?
    I never heard that expression before.

    Thanks,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid not**

      Delete
    2. I am afraid not means "no".
      example
      Did you see him?
      I am afraid not. (No)

      Do you have this jacket in size L?
      I am afraid not. (no)

      We use it to politely say no. It can be used to answer questions in present perfect, simple past, present and future.

      It is quite useful. Try it on someone.

      Delete
  2. I will! hahaha
    Thanks!
    ps:I miss your classes!!!

    ReplyDelete