Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lesson 15 Little and a little



These expressions are used with uncountable nouns.


a little--a small amount, in the positive sense.

e.g.      I have time, so I can help you.
            I have a little money, so I can get a cup of coffee.

These expressions can be modified by adding "bit of"--not really changing the overall meaning of the sentences.

e.g.      I have a little bit of time, so I can help you.
            I have a little bit of money, so I can get a cup of coffee.

little--a small amount, in the negative sense

e.g.      I have little time, so I can't help you.
            I have little money in my pocket, so I cannot afford a cup of coffee.

These expressions can be modified by adding "very" making the amount much smaller.

e.g.      I can only take short trips because I have very little vacation time.
            The drink tasted awful because there was very little alcohol in it.


Quiz



Complete the quiz by adding "little" or "a little

  1. I have _____time for silly jokes.
  2. They have _____money saved for a vacation in the Caribbean.
  3. His idea of fun was to spend _____ time travelling and seeing the wonders of the world.
  4. He was a having _____ difficulty learning English until attended classes at EC.
  5. They were having _____difficulty learning Japanese, and became fluent within a year.
  6. I would like _____ milk in my coffee.
  7. He had _____ furniture in his room because he liked the empty feeling.
  8. They were unprepared for the weather in Toronto because they had done _____ research before taking the trip.

 

2 comments:

  1. Your lesson is very useful. I'm late but I want to say happy birthday Anthony:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Happy Birthday. I am glad you find the lessons useful. There will be another one posted today (in one or two hours--I don't remember what time I scheduled it for)
    Please feel free to repost the link on your facebook--I am trying to reach as many people as possible.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete