Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lesson 44--RUN (continued)


As I said, the word run has many definitions and uses.  Today I would like to give you some more things to consider when talking about the word.

to run someone's = somebody else is taking charge and making the decisions.

i.e.       My mother is running my life.  She won't let me do anything or decide anything.

This is usually used in an unflattering or negative way.
You might tell someone:

            I run my own life!
            Stop trying to run my life!


to run the risk = that something unintended might happen.

i.e.       If you don't tell her the truth, you run the risk that she might find out and be angry.
            You run the risk of losing all your friends if you continue this way.

As you can see, this phrase is very useful when using conditional sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment