Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lesson 60--Talk into/out of


 
 
Phrasal Verbs

To talk someone into something.      Convince someone to do something.


e.g.      I talked my brother into driving me to the airport.
            The salesman talked me into buying a more expensive computer.
            I couldn't talk him into coming with us.
            She's so convincing (and beautiful) that she could talk me into anything.

 

This phrase if quite common and should be useful.  The opposite is just as useful, and should be easy to remember.


To talk someone out of something  =    Convince someone not to do something.


e.g.      I talked him out of jumping off the bridge.
            I wasn't able to talk her out of leaving.
            She talked me out of buying a motorcycle.
            Don't try and talk me out of this!  I'm doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment