Friday, May 2, 2014

Lesson 196--Hard English


 
I have a lot of sympathy for my students.  Whether they complain about it or not, English can be confusing.  Similar combinations of words often mean very different (or just a little different) things.  Here are some useful examples of that.

Working hard = the person is putting a lot of effort into something.

Maria is working hard on her essay.

Hard at work = the person is quite busy and probably should be disturbed.

Paul is hard at work and can't come to the phone.

Hardly working = the person is doing almost nothing.

Timothy is hardly working since he had the accident at work.

Hard work = this describes the work as being difficult, but not the person.

For Grace, taking care of children was hard work.  She loved it, but it was really hard work.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe there is a mistake at your example - Paul is hard and work and can't come to the phone. Shouldn't it be Paul is hard AT work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right. I fixed it. Thank you. I appreciate your help. I should pretend that I made the mistake on purpose to see if the students were really reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete