Friday, May 16, 2014

Lesson 202--Hands Down the Greatest



Most of my students understand the phrase "put your hands up" even though I really don't use it very much.  I wonder, though, could they guess the meaning of "hands down"?

Hands down is used to intensify the meaning of how much better, or how much more special something is.  When it is hands down the best, that means there is no competition whatsoever.

examples

Paul is hands down the best looking boy in the school.  He makes other boys look hideous.
Martha is hands down the best swimmer on the team.  She must be part fish
This is hands down the best cake I have ever tasted.
The 1967 Mustang is hands down the most beautiful car ever made.









A Quiz for you.  Please send me your answers (on the blog, not on Facebook)

  1. ________ is hands down the best rock band in the history of music.
  2. ________ is hands down the best movie ever made.
  3. ________ is hands down the best bar in Toronto.
  4. ________ is hands down the best flavour of ice cream.
  5. ________ is hands down the most talented actor/actress ever.
  6. ________ is hands down the biggest drinker in the history of LSC/EC.

4 comments:

  1. 1. The Beatles
    2. Cinderella
    3. Cocktail Bar
    4. Chocolate
    5. Anthony Hopkins
    6. Anthony

    Faln

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for number six. I wasn't looking for a compliment, but thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Queen
    2. Dirty Dancing
    3. I can't judge that since I wasn't very often in bars :)
    4. Chocolate
    5. Johnny Depp
    6. I don't know... ;)

    Greetings from Switzerland
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty good list. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete