Monday, October 20, 2014

Lesson 268--make room, time and space


one of these cats needs to make room
 
The word make causes a lot of problems for my students.  I wish it weren't so difficult.  The problem is that make means create, but it also means a lot of other things depending on the collocation.  In today's lesson, I will teach you some collocations where the idea of make means to create something.

 
make room/space  =  create room/space

examples

Jim cleaned out the spare bedroom to make room for the new baby.
Timothy asked his parents to move over and make more space on the couch for him.
If you clean out the fridge you can make more room for food.

 
make time  =  set aside time to do something/ free up time to do something

examples

Pamela drove fast enough that she made time for a long lunch.
My boss asked me to make time for more meetings.
Most doctors recommend making time for breakfast.
Thank you for making time for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment