Monday, April 13, 2015

Lesson 332--expressions used for guests


 
Today, thanks to the fact that I had guests over, I used two important phrases you can use when dealing with guests.  These phrases are used to make the guests feel welcome, and to make them feel at home.  Both of them give permission for them to treat your house/apartment like they're home.

Be my guest
Help yourself

examples

If you want something to drink, just help yourself.

Can I have some of that?  Be my guest.

If you need something, be my guest.

Treat this like your home and help yourself to whatever you want.

2 comments:

  1. Is "be my guest" like a expression? I mean it doesnt sound much friendly if i think this in my language

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can be a positive and friendly sentence. If you use a friendly voice the idea is very positive. You are letting/allowing someone to do something.
      Can I use your computer? Be my guest.

      Delete