Monday, January 21, 2013

Lesson 12: interested in


Interested in    +          noun

                                    gerund

                                    noun clause


 
e.g.      I am interested in sports.
            I am interested in playing tennis.
            John is interested in what his sister wants to do.


Though this is a simple idea, it can be used for very complex sentences.  It is useful for small talk (talking about hobbies and interests)

e.g.      What are you interested in?
            I like music.

It is also good for expressing desires which could lead to future actions.

e.g.      I am interested in learning German.  Do you offer any courses at this school?

It can be used to talk about things which you find disgusting or unlikeable.

e.g.      I have no interest in watching someone bleed violently for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment