Monday, November 4, 2013

Lesson 120--Where's the washroom? (part two)

 

As I explained before, in my experience westerners try to be more indirect or polite when referring to body functions.  Saying "I have to pee." is not something I would recommend.  Here are some useful expressions, though there are a lot more.  Also, the people you hang around with might use more direct phrases, so all I can say is that these are more polite, but you might hear even more polite ones, and you certainly will hear less polite ones.

 

Things both men and women might say


I need to visit the men's room/little boy's room/restroom.
I need to visit the ladies room/little girls room/restroom.

Things women might say


I have to powder my nose.
I have to touch up my makeup.

Things men might say


I have to see a man about a horse

(I heard this on a sitcom, so I don't know if this was more for a joke, or if people really say this.  I have only used it to be ironic.)

 

Things my students have told me that they say (translated from their language)


I have to send a fax.

Invitation to my readers

The last one is creative.  I invite all of my students to translate and post (you can post anonymously) expressions from their countries here.

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha I have to send a fax is from Brazil for sure, and it refers to number 2. People just say that as a joke and between friends ahahahhaha

    ReplyDelete