Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Lesson 133--Collocations with time

 

In today's lesson I would like to present some useful collocations with the word time


make time:  to set aside time to do something.
 
I need to make more time for my family.  It will mean spending less time with my friends or at work, but it will be worth it.
 
spend time:  to use time in some way (positively or negatively)

I spent three hours doing my homework last night.
I spent three hours in a traffic jam on my way to Montreal.
Daniel is going to spend a few hours with my children.

waste time:  to use time badly, inefficiently and unproductively

I wasted an hour on the phone to customer service.

kill time:  to waste time on purpose, usually waiting for something else to happen.

I got to the movies early and had to kill 30 minutes before the movie started.

No comments:

Post a Comment