Friday, March 7, 2014

Lesson 173--Bar talk


 
Phrases for ordering beer

A large number of students have told me that they speak better when they are drinking.  I don't want to doubt them but my experience say that this isn't really true.  However, since these students go to bars, they should have some language to help them.

Some of these phrases will also work for juice or soft drinks, but we should practice the language you really want to speak for a place you really want to speak it.

 

Ordering

I'll have a beer.
I'd like a beer.
One beer please.
Beer sounds good.
I'm in the mood for a beer.
I'll take a beer.
(Just say the name of a beer)

Asking questions

What's on tap?  (asking for what selection of draught beer they have)
What do you have on tap? (same as above)
What do you recommend?
What's your best deal in beer? (surprisingly, they might have a sale on one of their beers)
What's on special? (They may or may not have something on special.)

***please also see my blog post on asking where the toilet is.

No comments:

Post a Comment