Monday, March 17, 2014

Lesson 177--English is funny



English is funny.  I probably don't have to tell you that, but I had a lot of time to think over the weekend about how funny it is.  I just wanted to share some examples with you.

 

resign vs. re-sign

resign /ri:ˈzaɪn/ means to quit your job or your team.

i.e.  Matthew resigned from Apple because he didn't like the iPhone5S.

       Because she found the company unethical, April resigned.

note the noun is resignation...please note the change in pronunciation.  /ˌrezɪɡˈneɪʃ(ə)n/

 

re-sign /ri:saɪˈn/ means to sign again.
I know this isn't Messi, but I don't know any soccer players

i.e.  Messi was re-signed by his soccer team for billions of Euro.

       Ferrari is going to re-sign both of their drivers for next year.

note the noun is re-signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment