Friday, September 12, 2014

Lesson 253--Using the incredible word kid


 
 
Yes, the word kid means child, but it has so many other uses.


When people make a joke, to explain that they have been joking, they often use this expression.

You're ugly.  I'm just kidding.  You're beautiful.
Did you think I was serious?  I was just kidding.

 
When we ask if something is serious, we can also use this word.  It is also used when we don't believe something.  We don't believe it is true, or we don't believe that could really happen.

Are you kidding?
Are you kidding me?
You're kidding, right?
You're kidding me, right?

 
We also use the phrase when we are lying to ourselves, or not being honest with ourselves.

David was only kidding himself when he thought Michelle liked him.  He knew it wasn't true, but he didn't want to admit it.

Everyone thought Eva was kidding herself when she said she could quit smoking easily.  They thought it would be quite hard, if not impossible, for her.

 
When we tease someone, we also explain our behaviour by using this word

Stop crying, I am only kidding you.
I'm just kidding around.
Jonathan loved to kid his little sister, but she hated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment