Saturday, September 20, 2014

Lesson 256--house vs. home



a traditional house
 
 
Many students have asked me about this, so it seems like a good topic for today's lesson.

a very modern house
house:  a building where people live.  Not an apartment or condominium.

home:  a place where people live, and where they belong.  This includes a house, an apartment, a condominium, a city, a town, a country, a favourite restaurant or bar.

As you can see, home is more of a feeling.  This affects the grammar as well.

Using "to"

I am going to my house.

I am going to Mary's house.

I am going home. (no preposition)

I am going to my home. (This definitely means where I live and requires a preposition)

Welcome home!

Welcome to my house.

 

Using "at"

I will meet you at my house.

I will meet you at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment