Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lesson 210--Comparatives using the


 
One of my favourite things to teach is comparison phrases.  My students have come up with some great sentences since I have been teaching.  Of all the ways to make comparisons, my favourite uses the and the.

Examples.

The harder you study, the more you will learn.
The more I eat, the fatter I become.


These comparison sentences show a good relationship between two activities.  The adjectives follow the same rules as a comparison using than (words that take er, still take er, words that take more, still take more).

Some common phrases include;

The bigger the better.

A challenge for you.  Please complete these sentences and put them in the reply column of this blog (you can post it anonymously).

 Challenge Quiz

  1. The more I sleep, __________________
  2. The more hansome the guy/the more beautiful the girl ____________
  3. The later I go to bed, _____________________
  4. The more money I save, __________________
  5. The less money I have, ___________________
  6. The smaller the book, ____________________
  7. The more expensive the restaurant, _______________

No comments:

Post a Comment