Monday, June 23, 2014

Lesson 218--Rusty and Out of Practice



Two fantastic phrases to use when describing your performance when you haven't done something in a while are rusty and out of practice.  I haven't played tennis since last summer, so I will be using both of these phrases when I finally play a game.

Note, rusty is also the brown oxidation on metal when you leave it outside--hopefully you can see the connection between the two uses.

examples.

My Japanese is rusty.  I haven't spoken in a long time.
My Japanese is not good these days.  I guess I am out of practice.
Since I got a computer, my handwriting skills have become rusty.
I am just a little rusty.  A bit more practice and I will be better.
  • What are you out of practice in?  What are you rusty at (note the preposition when using an object)?  Please post your answers in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is an adjective that describes the car picture above--that car is really rusty. When we use it to describe our abilities, the meaning is more like an expression or idiom (but it is still an adjective.) I am a bit rusty at typing. My typing skills are a bit rusty.

      Delete