Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lesson 342--Words With More Than One Meaning

One meaning, but not the only one.

English is great because one word or group of words can have more than one meaning.  I think this is great, but I know some of my students don't.  It would be much easier if English words or phrases had only one meaning.  Easier isn't always better.
Today's phrase is "recharge my batteries."
This could me put more energy into my rechargeable batteries.  However, it could mean to rest, recover and generally feel better.
examples

Paul worked overtime for six months until he decided to take an island getaway vacation to recharge his batteries.

Needing to recharge her batteries, Veronica went to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico for a week.

Work and life were boring for Maurice.  His friends suggested taking a few weeks off work to recharge his batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment