Monday, May 25, 2015

Lesson 350--A great expression for crazy.

Out to Lunch
 
 
I have already taught you some expressions for crazy, but I think you need another one.  One of my favourites is the phrase "out to lunch".  This is great because the in a different context, this would mean exactly what it says.

example

A:  Where's Mr. Johnson?
B:  Oh!  He's out to lunch.
A: Please let him know I stopped by.
B:  Absolutely.

Mr.  Johnson is out to lunch and after he has eaten he will return.  However, if we use the phrase in a slightly different context, a person or a plan is described as being crazy or sheer lunacy.

examples

I can't believe we are following that person.  She is completely out to lunch.

There is no way that plan will work.  His idea is so far out to lunch I don't know what to say.

Everyone though Gregory was out to lunch when he spent all that money on a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment