Monday, January 27, 2014

Lesson 156--Because vs Because of


Taking a look at some connectors.

 
Learning how to use connectors is vital (very important) in English.  The next couple of lessons will tackle some of these.

The first is because and because of (and due to).  While they look very similar, and they both explain a cause or reason, they function very differently.

Because + clause           
Because of + noun/gerund.
Due to + noun/gerund.

 
Note the different punctuation when the clauses are reversed.

I was late because there was a delay on the subway.
Because there was a delay on the subway, I was late.

I was late because of a subway delay.
Because of a subway delay, I was late.

I was late due to a subway delay.
Due to a subway delay, I was late.

 

Quiz

Make equivalent sentences.  Click on the text marked quiz answers to access the site with the answers.

 
Because of the rain, I got really wet.
I got soaked_______________it was raining.

 
I was late because I overslept.
____________ to my oversleeping, I was late.

 
I skipped breakfast because I felt sick.
I skipped breakfast ______of my sick feeling.

 
Because I got good marks, my father bought me a car.
My father bought me a car____________my _____________.

No comments:

Post a Comment