Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lesson 157--In spite of and although (and their friends)


Taking a look at some connectors.

 
Learning how to use connectors is vital (very important) in English.  This lesson, like the last one, will tackle some of these.  Today's are

 

despite, in spite of
+ noun/gerund
even though, though, although
+ clause

 

All of these words connect a contrast, or unexpected connection.

examples


despite and in spite of function the same.

Despite the weather, I wasn't cold.
In spite of the weather, I wasn't cold.

notice a change in punctuation when the clauses are reversed (the meaning has not changed).

I wasn't cold despite the weather.
I wasn't cold in spite of the weather.


For the most part although, though, and even though function the same.
 
Although it was raining, I didn't get wet.
Even though it was raining, I didn't get wet.
Though it was raining, I didn't get wet.

notice a change in punctuation when the clauses are reversed (the meaning has not changed).

I didn't get wet although it was raining.
I didn't get wet even though it was raining.
I didn't get wet though it was raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment