Monday, February 17, 2014

Lesson 165--Expressions with "take" part one


My students often tell me that there are too many expressions with "take" in English.  While I can't agree that there are too many, I certainly must admit that there are a lot of them.  However, they are fun to teach, so here are two good ones for today's lesson (and two more for Wednesday)

take stock (of a situation)

This means to reflect on, consider, or at least think about a situation.

example:         After the monthly sales and expenditures were calculated, the President and the Vice President sat down to take stock of the situation.
                        After taking stock of the situation, Mary knew exactly what to do.

take charge

This means to assume control, to become the leader.

example:         When the boss went on Vacation, Patricia took charg
                        Everyone panicked, except Bob.  He took charge.

2 comments:

  1. I am doing pretty well on taking charge whenever my boss wants me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing well at taking charge whenever my boss wants me to.

      Delete