Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lesson 166--Expressions with "take" part two


 
 
There are lots of expressions using "take:" in English--maybe enough to write a book about them (I will call it "Take That").  While I won't argue with my students about these expression, I will do my best to teach a few of them.

take offense

This means to be insulted by what someone has said or done.

example:          George took offense when Mary didn't listen to his concerns.
                        Martha always takes offense when people don't compliment her cooking.

take heart

This means to take comfort, or something positive from a situation.

example:          I take heart in the fact that this blog is helping people.
                        At least I can take heart in the efforts my students are making.

2 comments:

  1. I want to take heart from anyone or anything. I just worn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually take heart from a situation, or something someone has done.
      I take heart from his effort.
      I am worn out.

      Delete