Monday, February 24, 2014

Lesson 168--phrases meaning complete


 
In English there are lots of ways to say that we have completed something.  Here are a couple of useful ones.


wrap up (separable phrasal verb)

Though this also means cover with paper or cloth (like a present) it can also mean finish or end.

example:          We wrapped up the project two days early.
                        Maria's boss asked her to wrap the meeting up quickly.
                        Although I worked hard, I couldn't wrap everything up today.

 

polish off (separable phrasal verb)

We usually use this for finishing the last of the food.

example:          Daniel polished off the cake before anyone got home.
                        Although she was hungry, Melanie couldn't polish off the spaghetti.
                        There is only a little coffee left, why don't you polish it off.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am getting fat as I polish off all food that even others leave.

    ReplyDelete